GFX100 Firmware update
Last Updated: 07.10.2021
Please read this update after refreshing this page.
- In case of Windows (Internet Explorer / FireFox / Google Chrome), hold down the “Control” key and “F5” key.
- In case of Mac (Safari / Google Chrome), hold down the “Command” key and “R” key.
- In case of Mac (FireFox), hold down the “Command”, “Shift” and “R” keys at same time.
The firmware upgrade is not required if its version is latest.
- Refer to “2) Firmware version checking procedure” in the “Detail of firmware update steps” below to check the firmware version.
Please use your camera and lens with the latest version of firmware.
- If you don’t use them with the latest version, you may not enjoy their full performance. Check the latest firmware version from the link below.
Detail of the firmware update
The firmware update Ver.4.10 from Ver.4.00 incorporates the following issues:
Regarding the details, download the “GFX100 New Features Guide[Ver.4.10]” from our website.
GFX100 will be able to output the RAW video data to Blackmagic Design’s Video Assist 7” 12G HDR and Video Assist 5” 12G HDR as “Blackmagic RAW” through HDMI up to 4K/29.97P 12bit (see Note-2 below)
•New firmware with this feature is supposed to be released by Blackmagic Design.
•RAW video data gives maximum flexibility for exposure adjustment and color grading in post-production for professional videographers.
Besides, simultaneous output of RAW with Film Simulation / F-Log / Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) to SD card in the camera is also available.
Note-1:GFX100/100S records “Blackmagic RAW” only with Blackmagic Design’s Video Assist 7”12G HDR and Video Assist 5” 12G HDR (as of Oct. 7, 2021).
Note-2:This video RAW data is compatible with 4K (3840×2160) 29.97P/25P/24P/23.98P(Not compatible with FHD).
The electronic level display will work in wider range of the tilt angle, so that you can use the electronic level on the LCD even if you tilt the camera more than that with the current firmware.
GFX100 has been modified to comply with energy conservation regulations in the United States and Canada.
Minor bugs have been fixed.
In firmware Ver.4.00, the menu structure has been changed and some functions have been renamed. Particularly, the movie setting menu has undergone major changes due to the expansion of setting items, and some of the settings will revert back to the default value accordingly.
Regarding the details, download the “GFX100 Manual Ver.4.00” from our website.
The firmware update Ver.4.00 from Ver.3.02 incorporates the following issues:
Improved autofocus performance to the same level as “GFX100S”
The new firmware updates the camera’s autofocus algorithm to the latest version to boost AF speed and Face/Eye-detection performance, enhancing AF accuracy even in portrait photography that involves subject movements. The ability to track a moving subject will also be improved, making it possible to maintain an accurate focus on a subject that is moving away from the camera.
Coordinated control of in-body and optical image stabilization mechanisms
The new firmware enables coordinated control of the camera’s in-body image stabilization (IBIS) and a lens’s optical image stabilization (OIS). Image stabilization is applied with optimum correction based on the two mechanisms’ acceleration, frequency detected by gyro sensors and the amount of camera shakes to minimize motion blur even when shooting handheld. This enhances the image stabilization function of GF lenses featuring OIS such as FUJINON Lens GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro or the FUJINON Lens GF45-100mmF4 R LM OIS WR with additional 0.5-stop.
Addition of the Film Simulation “Nostalgic Neg.”
The new firmware adds the Film Simulation “Nostalgic Neg.,” characterized by colors and tones reminiscent of the “America New Color,” which emerged in the 1970s to advocate the potential of color expressions to the world and established color photography as the mainstream style for photographic fine arts. The style combines “soft tonality” with “high saturation” at the same time and applies warm amber to highlights to soften the look while maintaining fine details and pop colors in shadows for lyrical looks.
Improvement of shutter speed setting for TTL slow sync flash shooting
In P and A mode, this firmware makes the slowest shutter speed slower than 1/8 sec. for the shooting used in a scene where relatively long exposure is required (ex. a flash shooting with night view background). In case the shutter speed setting is AUTO, the shutter speed becomes max. 4 sec in P mode and max. 30 sec. in A mode.
Other added functions and operational improvements
1) The level of “clarity” can be set in the range from -5 to +5.
The “tone curve” can be adjusted in the increment of 0.5 stop for both highlights and shadows.
2) The “focus limiter” function is added to specify any focusing range. Choose the default focusing
distance or select it from the specified range.
3) Pictures can be enlarged in the magnification of 1x, 2x, 4x or 8x in playback. There is also an option to
select the magnification used in the previous playback (from center).
4) Function button can be assigned to switch “shooting mode” between P, S, A and M modes.
5) The front and rear command dials can be set to rotate in a reverse direction.
6) The number of items in the Q menu can be selected from 4, 8, 12 or 16 for both stills and video.
The items to display in the Q menu are customizable.
7) The Q button can be assigned as a function button.
8) The camera stays ON even when an SD card is removed.
9) Electronic image stabilization is available while shooting video.
10) It corrects camera shake that occurs when shooting video handheld. (1.1x crop when this mode is
11) Live View can be enlarged even while shooting video.
12) The Focus Check Lock can now also be set to ON/OFF to maintain focus check or not when starting
to shoot video.
13) Video recorded in the SD card can be backed up to the SD card in another card slot.
14) The elapsed video recording time can be displayed on the LCD for checking.
15) The AF area size can be changed while shooting video.
16) Video files recorded with F-log can be played back in conversion equivalent to BT.709.
17) Added White Balance / ISO metadata to RAW footage, output to Atomos Ninja V HDR Monitor
Recorder via HDMI. The footage is recorded as Apple ProRes RAW files and White Balance / ISO
can be adjusted in Final Cut Pro.
Fix of minor bugs.
The firmware update Ver.3.02 from Ver.3.01 incorporates the following issue:
The phenomenon is fixed that in rare cases, linear noises can be recorded in the longitudinal direction when shooting a scene with large highlighted area.
The firmware update Ver.3.01 from Ver.3.00 incorporates the following issues:
Stability of operation for pixel shift shooting is improved.
Fix of minor bugs.
The firmware update Ver.3.00 from Ver.2.01 incorporates the following issues:
Regarding the detail, download the “GFX100 New Feature Guide Ver3.00” from our website.
Pixel Shift Multi-Shot function is added.
In the Pixel Shift Multi-Shot mode, the camera takes a series of 16 RAW images and by using in-body image stabilization(IBIS), moves the image sensor to get a high-resolution and real color* image. The multiple images are then combined to create a Digital Negative (DNG) RAW file using the FUJIFILM Pixel Shift Combiner software.
* real color : As a pixel of an image sensor has one color filter from red, green or blue, we cannot detect the real color for the pixel. We need to interpolate the other colors from the surrounding pixel data for that pixel. This is called the demosaicing process. In case of Pixel Shift Multi-Shot photography, we can receive red, green and blue data for every pixel position. This means we receive real color information when using Pixel Shift Multi-Shot mode and the demosaicing process is not necessary.
Ratings to images recorded in the [Jpeg + RAW] mode are applied to both Jpeg and RAW files.
The phenomenon is fixed that in a multiple-flash shooting where the EF-X500 is used as a commander, flashes in some groups sometimes don’t fire correctly. Also in case the EF-X500 is used as a commander and the EF-60 as a remote flash, upgrade the camera firmware to the latest version.
Accuracy of the Eye AF function for the front eye is improved.
Fix of minor bugs.
The firmware update Ver.2.01 from Ver.2.00 incorporates the following issue:
The phenomenon is fixed that it can take a long time for images to appear in playback mode.
Fix of a minor bug during a movie shooting.
The firmware update Ver.2.00 from Ver.1.03 incorporates the following issues:
Regarding the detail, download the “GFX100 New Feature Guide Ver2.00” from our website.
Expanding the use of outstanding image technology based on unique color reproduction
1)Addition of the new Film Simulation modes below.
・“CLASSIC Neg” mode, simulating color negative film traditionally chosen for snapshots.
・“ETERNA Bleach Bypass” mode, which simulates the film processing technique of the same name.
2)“Color Chrome Blue” is added, which adds depth to color and tonal reproduction in blue skies and other primarily blue subjects.
3)Additional functions of GRAIN EFFECT (SIZE, ROUGHNESS).
Improving autofocus performance
1)Fast and highly-accurate phase-detection AF even in low-light conditions at -5EV.
2)Improvement of the Face / Eye AF performance.
The face / eye detection accuracy and stability are improved when shooting multiple people, so as to make portrait photography easier than ever before.
3)Auto mode will be added to focus bracketing.
Specify the starting and ending points and shooting interval, and the camera can automatically determine the number of frames and steps required.
Enabling video recording control from Gimbal / Drone via USB communications
Combining the GFX100 with Gimbal / Drone that supports this function, will allow users to start / stop video recording, specify exposure settings for video (shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity and exposure compensation), and make manual focus adjustments.(*1)
Guilin FeiYu Electronic Technology Co. Ltd.(*2), Shenzhen Gudsen Technology Co.(*3), Ltd., SZ DJI Technology Co.,Ltd.(*4) and ZHIYUN(*5) (alphabetical order) have announced the intention of offering compatible products.
Expanding various other functions requested by customers
1)The firmware will allow users to adjust exposure settings (shutter speed, aperture value, ISO sensitivity, exposure compensation) for still images from a computer when using software that supports some tether-shooting functions.
2)More photo-editing applications will support the import of rating information, assigned in camera.
3)“COMPRESSED” is added to RAW RECORDING.
Features RAW video data output to ATOMOS NINJA V field monitor-recorder(*6)
GFX100 will be able to output maximum 4K/29.97P(*7) 12bit RAW video data using HDMI to an ATOMOS NINJA V, in Apple ProRes RAW. New firmware for NINJA V will be released by ATOMOS. RAW video data gives maximum flexibility for exposure adjustment or color grading in post-production for professional videographers. Also, simultaneous output of RAW with Film Simulation / F-Log / Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) is also available.
*6:GFX100 can record ProRes RAW only with ATOMOS NINJA V (as of June 30th 2020).
*7:Compatible with 4K (3840×2160) 29.97P/25P/24P/23.98P. Not compatible with FHD.
Fix of minor bugs
The firmware update Ver.1.03 from Ver.1.02 incorporates the following issue:
The slight defect is fixed about the color quality of the interchangeable electronic viewfinder “EVF-GFX2” bundled with GFX100.
The firmware update Ver.1.02 from Ver.1.01 incorporates the following issues:
OFF setting is added to the switching function by pressing the DISP/BACK button of information display on the EVF.
The phenomenon is fixed that in the interval shooting, exposure mode (P/A/S/M) changes after the first frame.
The phenomenon is fixed that with the shooting conditions below, RAW images developed by application software become black.
･ISO: 100 or less
･Shutter speed: 50 min. or longer
･Noise reduction: OFF
Fix of slight defects.
The firmware update Ver.1.01 from Ver.1.00 incorporates the following issues:
Stability improvement of operability when the GFX100 is connected to an external power supply via a USB cable.
Improvement of connectivity with smartphones and tablets when “WIRELESS COM. FREQUENCY SETTING” is set to 5GHz.
Firmware Update Steps
- Check the firmware version.
- Prepare a formatted memory card.
- Download the firmware and copy it to the card.
- Put the memory card with the firmware in the camera and update it.
If firmware updating fails, the camera may no longer operate correctly in some cases. Carefully read the notes provided here*Always use the fully-charged battery when updating the firmware as a basic manner. Never turn the camera off or attempt to use any of the camera controls while the firmware is being overwritten.
- You can update the firmware from old version directly to the latest one.
- Firmware updating requires approximately 5 minutes.(maximum)
- Once the firmware has been updated, some data of the previous version cannot be restored.
- Please check here if you encounter any problems.
Please read this Agreement carefully before downloading this upgraded version software (“FIRMWARE”). By downloading FIRMWARE, you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you are not authorized to download FIRMWARE.
Article 1. License
FIRMWARE is the upgraded version of software that FUJIFILM Corporation. (“FUJI”) already distributed to you included with FUJI’s product(s) (“ORIGINAL FIRMWARE”). All copyrights and other proprietary rights to FIRMWARE are retained by FUJI, and nothing contained herein shall be construed, expressly or implicitly, as transferring or granting to you any right, license, or title unless otherwise explicitly granted under this Agreement.
Article 2. NO Warranty
FUJI EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY FOR SOFTWARE. SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF COPYRIGHT, PATENT, TRADE SECRET, OR ANY OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY. IN NO EVENT SHALL FUJI BE LIABLE FOR ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE SOFTWARE.
Article 3. Restrictions
You shall not, or shall not have any third party, reverse-engineer, decompile, or disassemble FIRMWARE.
*Make sure there isn’t any file with the same name in the destination of the firmware to save. If there is a file with the same name, the browser may automatically alter the name of the firmware like the name and (1). A camera will not recognize the firmware correctly with an altered name like that.
- 07.10.2021GFX100 Firmware Update Ver.4.10
- 22.09.2021FUJIFILM X Series and GFX System Digital Camera Control SDK Ver.1.22 now available
- 30.06.2021GFX100 Firmware Update Ver.4.00
- 24.06.2021FUJIFILM X Series and GFX System Digital Camera Control SDK Ver.1.21 now available
- 22.04.2021Regarding the FUJIFILM Pixel Shift Combiner release on Apr 22 2021