The advanced X Series autofocusing system enables you to take the perfect picture, no matter how fast or erratically your subject is moving.
Focusing on moving objects as they dart about the frame is one of the most difficult things in photography. Thankfully, the advanced autofocusing system on your X Series camera makes this task a lot easier. In AF-C mode, focus is adjusted constantly, and when Zone or Wide/Tracking AF is used too, the active focus point is also shifted to follow the subject. Clever stuff!
Many of our cameras also feature customizable AF-C behaviors, which can be adjusted according to the type of action you’re shooting. Three aspects of the camera AF-C system can be fine-tuned:
- TRACKING SENSITIVITY. When an object other than the subject being tracked enters the focusing area, tracking sensitivity determines how long the camera waits before it locks on to this instead.
- SPEED TRACKING SENSITIVITY. The higher the value, the faster the camera responds to sudden changes in speed.
- ZONE AREA SWITCHING. This takes effect when Zone AF is selected and controls which part of the zone is used to focus: the part covering the closest object, or simply the zone’s center.
Deciding which of these settings to apply to a certain type of action is not always obvious, which is why we’ve developed five groups of settings that cover most of the situations you’re likely to encounter. You’ll find these in the AF/MF SETTING > AF-C CUSTOM SETTINGS menu.
- MULTI PURPOSE. Ideal for general shooting, and as a starting point when you’re not sure which settings to use.
- IGNORE OBSTACLES & CONTINUE TO TRACK SUBJECT. This preset is good in situations where the subject you are tracking may be momentarily hidden from view, for example when panning.
- FOR ACCELERATING/DECELERATING SUBJECT. A good setting for objects that are changing speed – such as a car decelerating into a corner before accelerating away again.
- FOR SUDDENLY APPEARING SUBJECT. This is really useful when you don’t know when or where your subject will appear. You might be waiting for cyclists to come over the brow of a hill, or a dancer to leap in the air.
- FOR ERRATICALLY MOVING & ACCEL./ AND DECEL. SUBJECT. Sometimes, you just can’t predict anything! This preset is good for things like fast-moving birds in flight, extreme sports such as skateboarding, and even the kids running around on the beach.
Selected models also allow you to make your own preset by adjusting the tracking sensitivity, speed sensitivity tracking, and zone area switching options yourself. This combination will be saved as preset number six, for instant recall at any time.
Your Next Steps
- CHALLENGE Get out there and shoot some action! Pick something you don’t normally shoot and try out all of the AF-C custom presets to really see which ones work for you best. Post your results on social media using the hashtag #MyFujifilmLegacy. You can also submit your work here for a chance to be featured on our social media channels by visiting.
- LEARN Download our booklet, Capture the Action with FUJIFILM X Series.
Header image © Dan Bailey